On behalf of the Board of Directors and Staff of the Ontario Chapter of the Canadian Associates of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, I want to welcome you to our webpage.
Our chapter has a rich history and the support shown by the community has resulted in tremendous benefits for Ben-Gurion University and its students. Funds raised have:
- Provided numerous scholarships for students who may not have had access to higher education.
- Broadened the curriculum offered at Ben-Gurion University.
- Supported a wide range of academic research in areas including medical, environmental, nanotechnology, robotics, and homeland security.
- Built facilities necessary to provide a first class education and add to the infrastructure so vital to developing the Negev in southern Israel.
Originally from Montreal, with a history of community involvement there, I looked to continue that upon moving to Toronto. With Montreal connections at Canadian Associates of Ben-Gurion University already in place it was a natural place for me to devote my time. On a trip to Israel in 2016, I was able to meet with one of Ben-Gurion University's newest researchers, Ilan Dinstein, whose lab focuses on research surrounding various aspects of autism. Upon my return to Toronto I knew I wanted to devote my efforts in this area and am proud to say that we have already helped secure significant funding in this area.
In taking over as President for the Ontario Chapter of Canadian Associates of Ben-Gurion University, I am looking to focus our efforts on 3 main aspects of strengthening the local organization and supporting Ben-Gurion University:
- Build a strong and engaged local Board;
- Create significant awareness of Ben-Gurion University in our area through publicity and events; and
- Continue raising funds for the needs of Ben-Gurion University through individual canvassing, fundraising events, and collaborations with other organizations where we share common interest.
We are always looking for more people to get involved and help us in our mission to support Ben Gurion University in literally making the desert bloom. Ben-Gurion University is a unique university in Israel as it is a pioneering institution that is literally responsible for the livelihood of more than one million people who live in the Negev desert. We welcome you in helping to plan and execute events of all shapes and sizes, reaching out to individuals, families, corporate sponsors and Foundations to support our cause and in bringing new viewpoints and ideas to the table. To get involved or to hear more about giving opportunities, please contact our Executive Director, Jonathan Allen at 416-665-8054 x22 or firstname.lastname@example.org. He and I will be happy to meet with you and find a place for you with Ben-Gurion University and The Canadian Associates in Ontario.
I'm hoping you will join the Ben-Gurion University family and make it a part of your personal giving programme. I would be happy to speak to you in person about this exciting institution.
We are planning some exciting events this year and hope that you will be able to join us.
Look forward to seeing you at our next meeting and event!
Joseph Kislowicz, President